Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New York, 2010



How do you pick your favourite pictures of a city like this? Close your eyes and point, that's how. There are hundreds more, but for now, here are some that will give you a glimpse of 'my' New York. Everyone has their own New York. Mine tends to be full of plants.

So here are 121 images taken from January till yesterday...February is missing. We were on the road in South Africa.

The images are Brooklyn-heavy, since I live there, even so, there are big parts I have not explored yet. And I am extremely conscious of the fact that there is precious little of Queens (only Jamaica Bay), nothing from Staten Island, and just a smattering from the Bronx. The fault is mine, not the Boroughs'. Next year.

Still, most outsiders tend to think that New York is Times Square and Midtown. While bright lights and crowded pavements might wow some of the visitors, the city can be far more subtle, and far more friendly... I hope you get to know and love it a little better, here.

Call this my love letter to New York.

If you would like captions click on the figure on the left.

And if there is a part of New York you would like to see, let me know! I like assignments.

And since we have quite a few weeks to go, I will add pictures to this as the year draws to an end.

I am hoping for snow.

5 comments:

  1. Don't get me wrong, Marie I truly love your plants/gardening posts however the travelling without having to pack ones are my favourites!
    This time I am visiting New York. Thank you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has made me long to spend some time in New York, altho Mitchell thinks it's only Times Square and has no interest at all. I hope to convert him soon. Your photos make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how New Yorkers cope amidst all the pavement...now I know.

    I am midway through listening to "New York: The Novel," by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a fascinating history of your city that you might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ag, jy maak my verskriklik lus vir jou stad. Ek dink almal moet iewers in hul lewe in New York bly vir 'n ruk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pictorial on New York. You should be appointed the Blog Good Will Ambassador for the city.

    For the first time ever, thanks to you, I would like to visit Brooklyn. Never even considered it before, but you have opened my eyes. And, amazingly enough, the radio played "Autumn in New York" this afternoon.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.