Monday, December 22, 2008

Harbour House Lunch

Kalk Bay Harbour, on False Bay in Cape Town. Our first day in town, having arrived late last Tuesday night, sans all our luggage, which had parted from us somewhere between Jo'burg and Cape Town - but ready for our first lunch. [The luggage was delivered the next day, in two batches]

Choppy bay and wind, and few fishing boats in the harbour, but plenty of determined fishing persons on the quay.

A toast to a reunion, my mom, Vincent and me - the delicious 2008 vintage of Haute Cabriere's Pinot Chardonnay blend.

The pilot, shell-shocked after flying for 18 hours with me and my high-places-with-a-long-way-to-fall phobia.

My favourite Greek salad with a slab of creamy feta...

I had written a fan letter to Harbour House thanking them for being so consistently good over the years, and to our delight we became the recipients of an extra bottle of wine and another crayfish*-and-a-half added to our platter. Largesse.
* In the Cape we refer to spiny lobsters as crayfish, even though that would render them, technically, freshwater crustaceans, which they are not.

Let the games begin. Shell- and finger bowls appeared in due course.


Calamari with chermoullah, kabeljou - local linefish a little like mahi mahi - big prawns and West Coast mussels kept the crayfish company.
So, I have a lot of catching up to do and my camera has been very busy. More to come...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marie. So glad to know that you have arrived safely...and what beautiful food...and warm sunny skies. It's a bitter 20 degrees here in Virginia; it was closer to 10 degrees in NY this a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's MY harbour you're talking about! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I claim visiting rights to that harbour and restaurant - thanks to my erstwhile Kalk Bay Friend, now in New Zealand. Such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. QC - Brrrr. My goodness.Good Christmas weather, though?

    Jane - shame...I thought of you of course. Your harbour is lovely. We will be calling up The Boys soon
    :-) We will approach softly.

    Diane - we should send some feesh...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.